Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Giving Thanks and Thanksgiving

I declare to you and myself that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. In the past, other days and nights, such as Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Day & Eve, and my birthday have contended and worn the crown from year to year - depending on my age, maturity level, experience, or circumstances.
What I find more mystifying than why the turkey has become the be-all and end-all for this special day, is why we focus on the giving of thanks only one day in our annual calendars.
It's as if we as a society have sent out the declaration that any more than one day devoted to thanksgiving could be excessive; that just as love gets its one day on February 14, it's only fair we limit our demonstrations of gratitude to but ONE twenty-four period in a year of 365. And, just in case one day IS TOO MUCH time for something so boring as giving thanks, our society has relegated the day to the showing of multiple professional football games (one always involving the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys, but usually in separate contests on the gridiron.
Even worse is the realization that the purest holiday of the year, one not commercially featuring anything besides Tom Turkey, orange taters, dressing, and pumpkin pies has now become "The Day Before Black Friday" instead of what our sixteenth president intended it to be. President Abraham Lincoln declared and decreed during his 1861-1865 term that the fourth Thursday of every November would be a day set aside once a year for a time of thanksgiving.'
When President Lincoln declared the holiday, everyone in America got why "thanksgiving" was so important that we, as a nation, should stop everything else to reflect on how bountiful our lives really are; how much the Creator had given so much, to all of us.
I don't believe Americans back then were thinking, "Gee, we need a day to thank each other." No, instead, they were realizing as a nation HOW MUCH GOD HAD DONE FOR AMERICA. And, also, how much the native residents of this vast area called North America had helped the earliest European settlers to this land, especially during that first year of 1620.
As you may know, the "old-school" term for giving thanks, Thanksgiving, is a biblical word; a word denoting the giving of gratitude to God. I apologize for not having several scripture verses at the ready to back up my substantiation because it's patently clear that thousands of years before Mr. Lincoln decreed, declared, and designated the fourth Thursday thusly, thanksgiving was a topic of much interest. In fact, it is one of many ways to speak with God and also one of many contexts in which we speak with The Almighty. He, The Great Provider, is the reason any of us are here today, much less the reason why any of us have anything: health, material goods, a humane lifestyle, and - of course, the biggest blessing of them all - life itself.
Tomorrow and every day until I don't have the consciousness to do so, I will be thanking Him for everything good that I see, smell, taste, and have. Why? Because He is the ONLY REASON why life exists. But, while I'm thanking Him everyday for all He does for me and us, I'll also be remembering all the good deeds and words that others have blessed me with. And, I'll be saying 'Thank You' in so many different ways to the folks that deserve it - including the bummy-looking stranger who picks up something you've dropped and returned it to you or the little child you think is only going to think about himself who offers you half his brownie or candy. I will also be spending more time reflecting on the few, but extraordinary people who have helped me, guided me, supported me, and loved me when I didn't deserve it.
THOSE folks are the people who should most be recognized with thanks tomorrow, Thanksgiving, along with every other day of our 365-day year. So, that's it - my blog on giving thanks, such as it is. I will now - hopefully - find a suitable picture to accompany this little ditty about extending 'thanks,' 'gracias,' 'grazie,' 'danke schoen,' 'arrigato,' and all the other expressions for gratitude. Thank you, my blogees, for taking the time to read this offering of mine.
And Father, in closing, I wish to thank You for loving us and showing us that it is our WILLINGNESS to give that You most love. As You tell us in the 2nd book of Corinthians,8th chapter, twelfth verse: "For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one had, not according to what one does not have." May our gifts be acceptable to You and others because we will to give, not feel any obligation or compunction. Thank You, Lord, and may we bless You each and every day that we breathe Your air, drink Your water, and eat Your provisions for us while enjoying the natural splendor You placed around us. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.
Happy Thanksgiving... everyday.... to each and every one of you.
(Note: The above picture I rendered in the second grade in preparation and commemoration of Thanksgiving 1960. It hangs from the wall of our garage, as a reminder to always give thanks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment